Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?
2 Corinthians 6:14 NIV
Marriage is part of God’s great plan for mankind according to Genesis 1: 26-28. Most people in general will get married, but before it would have experienced being single for some period in his life. Some choose single for life for a reason, and most choosing to get marry. Marriage could be a great blessing for a person’s life if he steps accordingly to God’s will, and vice versa.
There are 3 reasons for someone to live celibacy.
- God’s gift, when someone receives special ability to live single for life. Matthew 19:12a “Some are born as eunuchs…
- A Call, when someone not marry for certain reasons, or yet God’s time for him/her. Matthew 19:12b “..some have been made eunuchs by others.“
- A Dedication, when someone voluntarily dedicate their lives to God’s work. Matthew 19:12c “and
some choose not to marry for the sake of the Kingdom of Heaven. Let
anyone accept this who can.
10 principles in choosing a life partner (Genesis 24).
- Wisdom in seeking advice
- The principle of equal partner (v.4)
- The beauty and purity (v.16)
- The principle of heirs (v.7)
- There must be a willingness (v.8 & 57)
- Prayer (v.12 &63)
- Benevolence (v.18-20)
- The need for a family blessing (59-60)
- Principle about right time (kairos). (1 Corinthians 7:32-35)
- Principle about wells. (Gen 24:11 ; Gen 29:9 ; Ex 2:15)
(This article mainly translated from book of KOM 200, Gereja Bethel Indonesia)